Made with turkey instead of beef, this low-calorie chili, is perfect for a Sunday tailgate party or a low-key night at home with the family. Don’t be intimidated by the lengthy list of spices — you should already own a few of them, and they all add to the delicious flavoring of this beloved seasonal dish. Trust me, your family and friends will instantly love it!
Black Bean Turkey Chili
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded & cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 16 ounces canned whole tomatoes, undrained & coarsely chopped
- 16 ounces black beans, rinsed and well drained
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
In a 3-quart saucepan, combine turkey, onion, red pepper, garlic, jalapeño peppers, chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, marjoram, red pepper flakes and cinnamon. Cook mixture over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until turkey is no longer pink.
Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
Stir in beans and cilantro. Continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes.
Serve topped with Cheddar cheese.
Makes 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 55 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins
Number of Servings: 6
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 10 g
Cholesterol: 72 mg
Sodium: 433 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 18 g
Protein: 23 g
Recipe Source: National Turkey Federation