With this spaghetti squash and meatballs recipe, you can reduce the carbohydrates and increase the vegetable servings by skipping pasta and serving the Italian-seasoned turkey meatballs and quick, homemade marinara sauce over thin strands of cooked spaghetti squash instead. Cooking the squash first in the microwave and then in a skillet to cook off the extra moisture, gives the squash a more spaghetti-like texture.
Yield: 4 servings (3/4 cup squash, 3/4 cup sauce & 3 meatballs each)
Active Time: 45
Total Time: 45
1 3-pound spaghetti squash
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
1 1/4 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1 28-ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Halve squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place facedown in a microwave-safe dish; add water. Microwave, uncovered, on High until the flesh can be easily scraped with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Scrape the squash flesh into the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the moisture is evaporated and the squash is beginning to brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup parsley. Remove from heat, cover and let stand.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/4 cup parsley, 1/4 cup Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add turkey; gently mix to combine (do not overmix). Using about 2 tablespoons each, form into 12 meatballs.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs, reduce heat to medium and cook, turning occasionally, until browned all over, 4 to 6 minutes. Push the meatballs to the side of the pan, add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushed red pepper to taste, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir to coat the meatballs. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meatballs are cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes more.
- Serve the sauce and meatballs over the squash, sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.
fat 18 g (5 g sat, 6 g mono)
cholesterol 74 mg
carbohydrates 31 g
protein 32 g
fiber 8 g
sodium 581 mg
potassium 1233 mg
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (55% daily value), Vitamin A (54% dv), Iron (39% dv), Potassium (35% dv), Calcium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Serving 2
Exchanges 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 3 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat